Friday, July 22, 2005

In her eyes ...

" It is so important for adults to see children play again," she says. "It makes us smile. It restores our hope in future."
(From TIME, issue 4-Apr-05, pg 31)

Very true indeed. In every village I go to, the children seem to have coped up with the disaster better (though I hear of parents talking about how the children can't seem to sleep in the night sometimes). Their world, though washed away by the tsunami, has not turned totally dark. In Sadraskuppam, I observe them as they excitingly talk about the "otta pandayam" (running race) held last week. Lakshmi, the night school teacher made me distribute the gifts for the race - one pencil for Chandru (First prize), a 10cm plastic ruler for Suvetha (Second prize) and a eraser ("lubber") for Vaishnavi (Third prize) . Hope personified. In front of my eyes.

PICT0351

Photo by me on 21-July-2005